Rights of LightRights of Light is a private easement of light flow over a site (servient owner) to a neighbouring window aperture (dominant owner). A right of light needs to be established which could be expressed but commonly obtained by way of prescription, after a 20 years of enjoyment. The right is not to an unlimited amount of light but for that which is considered to maintain a room ‘adequately-lit’.
Schroeders Begg assisted in the publication of the RICS professional guidance on Rights to Light within their role on the sub-panel and have acted upon a number of leading landmark Rights to Lights cases READ MORE.
We provide rights of light advice for developers, architects and also those affected by development; our services include:-
- Full in-house rights of light technical analysis and reporting
- Feasibility studies
- Advice on actionable injury compensation levels and injunction risks
- Massing safe envelope studies
- Cut-back analysis
- Rights of Light negotiation
- Strategic advice
- Light Obstruction Notices
- Expert Witness